Tuesday, January 29, 2008

In Progress / Show and Tell

This new painting is something of a labor of love for me. I'm taking her really slow, working on each likeness with slow building marks. Many of the likenesses are invented, notwithstanding my portrait of Abe Lincoln at the bottom of the Tondo. It is kind of exciting to teach figure drawing and cast drawing at the same time that I am working on a kind of cartoon of these disciplines. My students have been making remarkable works with sharpened charcoal and determination! My caricature and pile habit nods to such labors, but makes a fanciful diversion from them at the outset. While I consider these oil paintings a discipline, perhaps they are more a habit of repeated mark-making and intimate portraiture (12" diameter round). Well, off to the studio and to figure drawing group!

No comments: