Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Greenbelt Studio

This is a photo of a studio I had in Greenbelt, Maryland. I was working on some murals for the Student Financial Assistance branch of the Department of Education in Washington D.C. I made three big multi-panel murals that summer, I think two of which are still extant. I know for a fact one hangs in Homeland Security, which I find very amusing. I was painting happy students, as Student Financial Assistance is the branch of Education that grants student loans (yes, they put out the FAFSA). The murals were intended to show the consumer of the SFA's product (the happy and educated student), and I think they turned out so well that the building kept them even after the SFA moved. The building where the murals are housed is a former tank warehouse, kind of dank, long hallways. This studio was delightful as it was in a converted school building in an unusual WPA-built town. I recall Greenbelt had housing that looked like coop-style apartments, all whitewashed, intriguing stone-relief murals, and great public spaces. I was absolutely CHARMED by Greenbelt and hope to go back there someday.

No comments: