Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Going for Brevity

I'm in the process of writing a new artist's statement, which is similar to having a root canal. While I'm waiting for lightning to strike, I decided to shorten my older statement. I'm not sure if there's greater clarity, or if I'm just trying not to give it all away in the first handshake. I tried to retain the language of abundance without talking too much. It seems most of what I do is list when I write. The paintings are congruent to that impulse. Let me know what you think:

My pictures of mounds, stacks, piles, heaps, and staged arrangements contain a lexicon of cuttings, discards, statuary, bodies, edibles, and taxidermy. These piles convey an interest in classical notions of Vanitas still life and cornucopia as well as more contemporary notions of repetitive labor and mark-making.

No comments: