Monday, July 07, 2008

A Walking Day in Portland Continues















We continued our walk through a street fair which held a good portion of its booths under a bridge, and watched the trolleys go by, including one Boston-style Cyclops trolley. Meandering through Chinatown our hosts pointed out the landmark Hung Far Low Restaurant, a good picture even if you don't eat there. The pioneer courthouse plaza you see there held this remarkable signpost with improbably cities labeled with distances, including Lillehammer. We headed over to Powell's Books, but I didn't photograph the place, because predictably, I had my nose in a book. And then we jumped in the car to drive to another stroll, the Portland Rose Test Garden, a remarkable and lush place. Husband believed it was similar to the Butchart Gardens of Victoria, and I'm inclined to agree, the Pacific Northwest is a wonderful place to grow flowering plants. Excuse me for taking excessive cliche pictures of roses, I figure I'll paint more roses into the cracked still life paintings that way! And then we finished our day with a drive up to Pittock Mansion to take in one of the best views of Portland.

No comments: